Perfect for fall, with wonderful smells of squash and toasted pumpkin seeds, this delicous, filling recipe makes a huge amount. Freeze any leftovers in mason jars for next time.
- 5 cups cubed & peeled butternut squash (about 1-1/2 lbs)
- 4-6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups cubed & peeled sweet potato (about 12 oz)
- 2 cups sliced leek (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped green onions & toasted pumpkin seeds (for garnish)
- Heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add squash, sweet potato, salt and pepper to pot. Saute 3 minutes.
- Add leek and saute 1 minute.
- Stir in broth (enough to cover the sweet potato and squash) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until sweet potato is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Blend in batches in blender until smooth, or use hand immersion blender to puree.
- Stir in coconut milk.
- Pour into bowls and garnish with chopped green onion and toasted pumpkin seeds.
- Freeze any leftovers for later!